La Am 1; La Am 2;
For those who haven't watched that movie yet, your lost. I have been to Canada, both Toronto and Vancouver. I have been to California too. I have been to Osaka Japan when I was in 5th grade. This march, we're headed off to Nova Scotia - Canada.
What's my point, you may ask.
La Amistad means friendship. Ironically, It was also the place where brutal and immoral discrimination took place to Black Africans. They were sold and was forced to slavery just because they were black Africans.
I honestly can't believe that people can be that cruel. They threw people from the ship just because they lack food. They hit people for the sake of hitting them. They don't let sick people get cured and lastly, they took their right to be free.
I honestly believe that until now, most of us are guilty of this. Maybe not the way they slave those black Africans but, the way we tend to judge a person not by his or her attitude and character but by his or her background. Vancouver, Toronto, Japan, California. I have been to those places - all of which still has the ashes of discrimination.
- Freedom is not given. It is our right at birth.
- When we judge, we take that person's right to be free.
- We've come to understand that who we are is who we were.
The natural state of mankind is freedom.
John Quincy Adams: This man is black. We can all see that. But, can we also see as easily, that which is equally true? That he is the only true hero in this room. Now, if he were white, he wouldn't be standing before this court fighting for his life. If he were white and his enslavers were British, he wouldn't be standing, so heavy the weight of the medals and honors we would bestow upon him. Songs would be written about him. The great authors of our times would fill books about him. His story would be told and retold in our classrooms. Our children, because we would make sure of it, would know his name as well as they know Patrick Henry's. Yet, if the South is right, what are we to do with that embarrassing, annoying document, The Declaration of Independence? What of its conceits? "All men created equal," "inalienable rights," "life, liberty," and so on and so forth?
No comments:
Post a Comment